Monday, June 2, 2014

First Week of Training!

Hi Mom,

We had a so-so week this past week. We contacted a lot of people and we taught some lessons, but I feel that the work is now starting to pick up a little in this area. Training has been hard, and frustrating at times, but it is a lot of fun as well. I have realized how much I like teaching Spanish to other people, and I might do something like that after my mission.

My new companion is a quieter Elder, and he needs a lot of work on his Spanish, but he is excited to be here, and he is a happy person even though the first transfer is so hard. I am excited to work with him. He has had cancer twice in his life, but he is completely cured now. It must have been really hard for him, but he is still out here serving a mission. He is also 20 years old, so I am training someone older than I am.

The ward here is still great. I love being able to talk and interact with the members of this ward, and even though I have been speaking Spanish for a year, it still amazes me that I am able to speak Spanish. I love being a missionary!

I don't really have a whole lot to say this week either. I am enjoying training, and I hope I am doing a good job. I love you Mom! Have a great week!

Love, Kyle
 
Hi Dad,
 
Training has been a very humbling and eye-opening experience. I can honestly say that I am being more obedient and I am working just as hard as I ever have on my mission. I love missionary work, and I am so happy that I get to share that love with my new companion. It is hard, and I really need to be more patient, but I am improving everyday, I really hope I can help him have a better experience than the one that I had.
 
Answers:
1) How is the new "Greenie" (do they still call new missionaries Greenie)
He is doing OK. He needs a lot of work on his Spanish, but he is still excited to be here. He has gotten discouraged a couple of times because of the Spanish, but that is very normal. I remember my first week in the field. The Spanish was the worst part, but now I can speak it just fine.
 
2.) What is he like - do you get along?
We are getting along. Partly, because he is working hard, and he is trying to be obedient. He is 5'6" blonde hair blue eye, so now we are the blonde haired companionship that speak Spanish. He likes extreme sports, biking, snowboarding, longboarding. He is 20 years old (maybe someday I will have a companion that is younger than me.) He is doing well.
 
3.) How is the work going?
We have gotten some new opportunities to teach some part member families, and some old investigators, and we will be teaching them this week. Things are starting to pick up here.
 
4.) Any new investigators?
We found one new investigator who was very interested in our message, but we are not sure if we are going to be able to teach him. He has gotten in trouble with the law, and he is on the run, so we will see.
 
5.) How is being a trainer?
It is hard, a lot of fun, and fantastic! I love teaching. Being able to teach my trainee has been great. It is hard to stay patient, but I am working on it. I noticed this week how much I like to teach Spanish. I am thinking that when I get home, I could get a job at the MTC or something teaching Spanish. It is great! It is also really helping me work out the small problems that I have had with my Spanish. I love it!
 
6.) Any good experiences this week?
We had a ward party this passed Friday which we had a great turn out! We watched the movie 17 miracles. We had around 40 people show up, members and some non-members, so we were very excited about that. We also had lots of frozen pizza to make for everyone to eat. I was put in charge of making the pizza, so now some of the members in the ward know that I am a great pizza chef. It was a lot of fun.
 
7.) Did you know that there are 97 days till BYU football?
NO!
 
8.) Did you know that the sacrifice you are making right now will continue to bless you. your whole life?
Yes, and I am very excited to be able to put the things I have learned to practice. Lately I have noticed how much my priorities have changed as a missionary. I wasted a lot of time before my mission doing things like watching TV, and I now realize how important it is that I put the spiritual things first.
 
9.) Are you working as hard as you can so that when you are done, you can look back and have no regrets?
I have been working as hard as my companions will let me work if that makes sense. I have tried to work hard all the time. I haven't been perfect, but I feel pretty good about it. Do you have any suggestions on how to get your companions motivated to work hard? I don't really have to worry about that now, but I know I will probably have to in the future.
 
10.) Who are you going to have over to your apartment this week?  maybe the FBI, since you have already had the Police & Fire Department.
Let's hope nobody shows up. It was a crazy transfer though.
 
My advice for the youth are two things
1. Learn about and use the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It can be used in so many ways and in every aspect of our lives. It can help with school, work, social life, everything! As they come to love Jesus Christ more and more, they will see how much happier they can be. I love Jesus Christ, and I know that he lives.
 
2. Learn how to prioritize their time. Do the most important things first, and everything else will fall into place.
 
I love you Dad! I hope you enjoy you crazy month with camping. It should be fun even if it is a lot of work. Thank you for your great example, as well as your love and support.
 
Love, Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment