Monday, August 25, 2014

Rough start in Rowlett! Lots of pictures from Grand Prairie!

Hi Mom,
I have had quite  the first week here in Rowlett. It has been so frustrating and stressful, and yet this area seems to have a lot of potential. I feel so dumb right now, but I learned and grew from the experiences that happen, and they WON'T happen again. It was car trouble.

So, I arrived on Tuesday to Garland which is where we live. It is a small part of Garland that we cover, but the church is in Rowlett, so this is the Rowlett area. The  apartment here is so much better than the one in Grand Prairie. It isn't anything special, but it is a lot better. When I got here on Tuesday we didn't have a car, because my companion had crashed it about a month ago. He can't drive anymore, and we were going to get a car on Thursday, so for the first few day we were on foot and biking everywhere. When Thursday came, we got our brand new car and drove it home no thinking at all about a parking sticker. On Friday, one of our few investigators dropped, which started the terrible weekend. We enjoyed the car on Thursday, and all day Friday, but when we woke up Saturday, it wasn't there anymore. We were so confused, and we first thought that it had been stolen. We tried calling our vehicle coordinator, but he wasn't able to do anything about it, because he was out of town. We went over to the office, but the office was closed for the week end. On our way back, I realized that it had probably been towed. So, we found a number to call on our apartment complex, and it had been towed. So this was the first dumb thing we did, but it didn't end there. We called all our appointments that day, and again some of our investigators dropped. We continued to go out and work on bike, and by the time that we had rode up the first street, my tire popped. We worked on it for an hour to try and fix it, but it kept popping. So we went out again on foot. It was a long day, but we were trying hard not to get down on ourselves. When today came, we went to go pick up our car with the vehicle coordinator. It is going to cost us $400. That was frustrating, but nothing too terrible. The terrible part was when we drove the car back to the apartment complex, we asked the office manager for a sticker, and she said that she would have released the car if we had gone in before we picked it up. I had even said to my companion several times that we should go over to the office, and for some reason we didn't. So in other words, we are paying $400 for nothing. It was a terrible first week here in Rowlett.

As far as the actual area goes, the ward is great! We have people from Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Argentina, y Peru. The members are very helpful from what I have seen, and we are getting ready to work with them to find investigators. The work here in Rowlett is very slow. We are down to two investigators, one of which we are thinking of dropping, so we have a lot of work to do. We will be knocking and visiting lots of less-actives for awhile.

I hope that all this bad stuff that is happened won't affect the work here in Rowlett. It will probably take me awhile to get over it. I just feel so frustrated and dumb for not thinking about these things, but I guess it was a lesson learned, and I don't plan on doing it again ever. I hope that we can now turn this area around to what it needs to be. I am ready to work hard!

I hope everyone continues to enjoy school. Sorry that my letter was so depressing, but I am now ready to work and not look back. Thank you for sending the picture of the mountains. I love y'all! Have a great week.

Love, Kyle
















 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment