Monday, August 11, 2014

Loving Missionary Work!

Hi Mom!

The work here in Grand Prairie has really started picking up. We have found lots of investigators this transfer, and I am looking forward to seeing them progress. We have also been blessed to find families. I haven't really had the opportunity to teach families on my mission, so I am grateful for the great families that we are teaching now. Recently we found the Macias family. I am not sure if I have mentioned them before, but they are so great! There are 3 kids and the two parents. The kids of that family are so interested and excited when we come over to teach them. They always want to be the ones who read the scriptures and say the prayers, and they have told us that they really want to come to church. The conflict that they have, is that their Dad for some reason hasn't wanted to listen, and they haven't come to church yet. I really hope that they will start coming to church.

I have been surviving the heat, but I have definitely needed sunscreen. I usually survive fairly well, but after biking for long periods of time, my face is so red, and I am sweating so much. I knock on doors, and people probably think I am about to pass out. It must be funny to them to see someone at their door step with a super red face, drenched in sweat, and breathing really hard, and then to hear me say, "We are missionaries," in my very happy way. At least I am staying in good shape.

The package got here just fine. The chocolate was very melted, but I put it in the fridge and now I can eat it as big pieces. Thank you very much for sending it to me. It is always great to know that I have a family that loves and cares about me. I sewed up the hole in my other suit and it still fits, so I won't be needing another one yet. I haven't grown on the mission, I just thought that if I sewed the suit up, it might have been to tight. It is still working good though.

I have noticed as of lately how much I really love serving a mission. I love teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ to everyone. Missionary work is definitely more fun when there are people to teach, but I have realized recently that I really like every part of missionary work. I love working with the members, and I have come to love knocking doors. Most missionaries would probably think that I am crazy, but I really do like knocking doors. Probably because I am able to speak Spanish which still amazes me sometimes. I love Jesus Christ and his gospel, and I know it is true. I am so grateful that I have this great opportunity to give this great blessing to others. I love you Mom! Thank you for all that you do for me!

Love, Kyle 
 
Hi Dad!

The weeks here in Grand Prairie all seem to be the same. We teach just about the same number of lessons each week, and we are always finding lots of people to teach. I have liked being here in Grand Prairie quite a bit. It has been a great learning experience for me, and I have really started to work more with the members. I don't think I want to leave.

Answers:
1.  Are you ready for a transfer? or do you want to stay for one more?
I would like to stay for one more transfer. Most of our district is going to be leaving, so I feel like I am going to be staying and serving as District Leader. We will see if I am right.

2.  How is your less active man - is he coming to church?
I think that he was very unsure about coming to church, but his family who haven't ever heard of our church convinced him of going, so as a family they should be coming to church next Sunday.

3. Do you have to sing to investigators?
No we haven't had to.
 
4.  Are the members helping you find people to teach?
They are. Our ward mission leader recently has been inviting a friend of his to come to church and to the activities. They came to one activity we had, and they also came to church last Sunday.

5. What experience did you have this week?
I can't think of an experience this week that really stands out, but we do have some great people that we are teaching. We have found some really good families, and I am looking forward to seeing them progress.

6. Have you grown taller?
I don't think so.

7. Are you surviving the heat? (how hot - how high is the humidity)
I am surviving the heat for sure, as long as I have sun screen. The temperature as been barely over 100 this passed week, and it is only getting hotter. And to tell you the truth, in some ways I like the humidity better than the dry heat, because I don't burn as easy. It really isn't too bad except for the fact that we are on bikes. I knock on doors completely drenched in sweat after biking all over the place. The spirit really has to take over on my door approaches, because I look terrible.

8. Are the members keeping you fed? ( if not what do you eat?)
They are doing an OK job on feeding us, but we also have some no-members and investigators that make food for us, so it isn't too bad. When we eat on our own I usually eat pasta, or sandwiches, or sometimes soup, ya know all the good missionary meals.

9. Are you finding people that are ready for the gospel? and are progressing?
We have some great families that we are working with that have shown lots of interest in the church. We just need to help them start to progress.

10. Does your mission have i-pads? ( are they getting them?)
Our mission will be getting I-pads either at the end of this year, or by the beginning on next year. We will have to buy the I-pads when they come, so I will be able to bring it home. They are also going to the I-pad minis.

I am really enjoying this area and the work that we are starting to do. I really hope that I get to stay for one more transfer. I want to see some of the investigators that we have found start to progress. I haven't really put any names down for now, because I figure that I will wait until they are progressing. I really do enjoy missionary work. I even love knocking doors.

I love you Dad! Thanks for your love and support I hope you have a great week! I hope BYU plays well this year! Thank you for everything!

Love, Elder Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment