Monday, April 7, 2014

Conference Weekend!

Hi Mom!
 
Thank you for the package. The package was probably delivered to the apartment at around Friday, but it sat in the office, because the mail man didn't leave a note or anything. We did pick it up today however, so it will be my post-conference snack!
 
Tornadoes. We did have a tornado warning about 20 miles South of where we are, but we were just fine. There wasn't really any hail either, but in some areas nearby it was huge I heard. That doesn't sound like much fun. Our plan for tornadoes, is to get inside as fast as possible. After we are inside, we are told to be away from all windows and to go towards the center of the building, under a big piece of furniture. And that is about it. Oh, and pray!
 
We had a pretty good week this week! We taught some good lessons, and we were able to help a lot of people. Now we just need to keep on going. We have again started teaching Bethany, who is beginning to progress really well now. She has been coming to church activities for years, and now she is coming regularly to church. She is slowly building up her faith to the point where she will commit to baptism. We will see how it goes, but she is looking good.
 
Preach My Gospel thought of the week:
On behalf of the talk given by Elder Ballard, I decided to start sharing things from Preach my Gospel. I did not however come prepared on anything to share, so I will just bare my testimony on it. Preach my Gospel has helped me so much as a missionary and a disciple of Jesus Christ. It is preparing for me for the rest of my life, and it definitely doesn't just apply to missionary work. I have loved improving myself daily through studying it. It has helped me become more Christ like, plan better, recognize the spirit, and it has strengthened my testimony of the Gospel. It lays it all out very nicely and simply. I would recommend that y'all start to study PMG at least a little to know how you can help hasten the work of salvation.
 
Thank you for your love and support. And for the conference package. I love y'all and look forward to the next transfer where ever it takes me. The transfer ends next week by the way, and we get our calls on Saturday.
 
Love, Kyle
 
Hi Dad,
We had a good week this week. We saw some miracles, and I really enjoyed watching conference. It really gave me a desire to act and change somethings to improve my life.
 
Answers
1. Where did you get to watch conference?
We watched conference at the church building for all of the sessions. Our bishop and his family always watch it their as well, and they had lunch for us both days. I really enjoyed this weekend.
 
2. What was your favorite Talk and why?
My favorite talk was Elder Bednar's talk on the Atonement of Jesus Christ. He really gave me a better understanding of how I can use the Atonement in my life, and the need for trials.
 
3. What did you think about your Mission President getting Called?
I was a little shocked for sure. He sent us a text about 5 minutes before the meeting telling us to be on time and attentive to the sustaining of Church leaders. From that we knew that something was going to happen, we just didn't know what. I feel so blessed to have him as my Mission President!
 
4. How is Igor?
Igor is still doing great. Really the only obstacle for him now, is his room-mate is female. He will probably be baptized in the next couple of weeks.
 
5. Was he able to change his work schedule?
No, but we got permission from President to baptize him if he overcomes his other obstacle.
 
6. How is the teenager that was close and then backed away?  Have you had contact with him?
We haven't been able to contact him since. The youth have told us that he isn't very interested anymore, and he has really become a bad influence for everyone else.
 
7. Are you ready to be transferred to a new place?
Yes and No. I love serving here in Sherman, but I would also be OK with serving in another area. I would like to serve in a highly populated Hispanic area, so that I could really improve my Spanish.
 
8. Are you and your companion still getting along well?
Yes we are for sure. I would be OK another transfer with him, if that is what happens.
 
9. Are you picking up some new investigators?
We found a new investigator this week that lives about 30 miles away from the Church in Durant, Oklahoma. My companion contacted here while on exchanges with the English Elders. She was so excited that he spoke Spanish, that when he invited her to church she said yes. We called her yesterday morning to see if she would come to conference, and she was planning on it. She came to the morning session with us, ate lunch with us during the break in between sessions, and started working on family history in between sessions with some of the members. She then watched the final session and went home. She was so happy that she had come, and she is already best friends with our small Spanish group. When she was doing family history as well with the help from the ward, she found four generations back. We are very blessed to have met her, and we hope to help her progress in the gospel! She seems very prepared.
 
10. Are you happy?
YES!!!!
 
It was a great week for us here in Sherman. We are working hard and trying to be obedient. I hope that this area will have some success soon. It has been a great place to serve!
 
I love y'all and hope that you enjoyed your time together for conference. Good luck finishing out Tax season!
 
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment