Monday, March 24, 2014

Another Week in Sherman!

Mom,
 
To start off the week, we hadn't been able to get a hold of Aaron G. He has lost interest in the church, and I am not sure why. He talked to one of the youth, and said, " I will come to church again, I just don't feel ready right now." Then one of the other youth said that he was becoming a really bad influence, and has began to make fun of the church. The next morning we got another text saying that we are probably going to lose Roberto (The recent convert we baptized) as well. I lost it. I have never felt so rejected in my life, and I couldn't believe that it all had to happen at the same time. I felt so sad, and discouraged. We had come into May thinking we would have three baptisms, and two of them have already fallen through. To describe the pain that I felt, it is like having a good friend go in-active, then another, then another. I felt so down that I cried. I have really come to love these people. And this was so hard.

Knowing that I still had to be a missionary, I tried hard to forget about it and go to work, and we were able to have a good day. I prayed a lot, and kept thinking why. The next day, we had a zone conference in which our mission President shared the most motivating thing I have ever heard. At this point I was mostly over what had happened the day before, and this talk helped me forget and move on. President Durrant wrote a story about a missionaries parents coming to visit their son during his mission. After visiting him, they wrote a letter to President Durrant about their experience. They weren't going to make themselves known, but just watch their son in action. This family consists of parents and an older brother of the missionary. As they watch, they see the missionary get up late, not study, leave the apartment late, not contact people, and the list goes on and on. This family feels so disappointed in their son and they even say that he wasn't the same missionary that they had prepared to serve all those years. The older brother begins to cry while watching his brother. At the end of the letter the family signs it, From your heavenly home, Father Mother Jesus Christ. We were all thinking about how we would feel if our parents were there. Would they be pleased? Would they be disappointed? Then we came to find out that it was our heavenly family and Jesus Christ. They really are watching my every move, and am I doing all I can in my mission. Am I working my hardest? When this story was shared, we all felt like we could do a lot more to please our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. The room was so silent. My mission president is very inspired, and I believe this story he wrote will get every one motivated again.
  
I learned from this meeting that it doesn't matter if people get baptized, or if I am teaching everyone in the world. It doesn't matter if I have lot of investigators, and a great ward to support me. I have Jesus Christ and I will work hard no matter how tired I get to please him and give at least a sliver back to him. Jesus Christ is my motivation. I will do all I can, because he gave me all I have. It isn't about what I want, but what he wants. The baptisms might come, they might not, but I do know that the harder I work the more converted to the gospel I will be. Life won't be easy, and trials will happen. When they do we must remember that Jesus Christ already suffered everything, and he never quit. When we suffer we can't quit either. We must stay strong in the gospel for ever! I never want to fall away, and it hurts to see others falling away. I know that this church of Jesus Christ, and that is why I am willing to give everything that I have to Heavenly Father. I testify that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints is the only true church, and that we need the priesthood power to help us have eternal life. I know that we have a living prophet on the earth today, and I am so excited to hear from him in a few days. I love this church!
  
I have never worked this hard in this area, and I am planning on continuing to work harder and harder until I finish my mission. I feel so happy even through all of the trials I have. The gospel really does bring us peace. The work here is beginning to pick up again. I love serving the people here, and I am grateful that I have at least three more weeks here in Sherman. Thank you Mom for all that you have done to help me in my life in preparing me to serve a mission! I love you!
  
I like hearing about the family. Everyone is having fun. I miss you all, but I know I am where I need to be. I can't wait to come home and hear Chase on the drums! That will be really exciting!
Have a great week!
Love,
Kyle
 
Hi Dad!
 
I had a tough and yet a great week. I grew a lot, and this week is going to change my mission. I am still so happy. Looking back on my mission, it definitely took a lot of time before I came to love the mission, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I love my mission!
 
I haven't had as many experiences as you have with the gospel, but I have really come to appreciate it as well on my mission. Being in Utah, every one lives some of my standards, and I really never realized how much the gospel protects us. I feel so blessed every day to have been born into the church into a family that is active. Thank your for teaching me and preparing me to serve a mission. I am so thankful! I know that Christ lives and loves us! I know we have trials in this life to help us learn and grow. I am so grateful for revelation, and for the leaders of the church who are able to receive that revelation. I love my mission President, and he is so inspired. It is great to see his example, and learn from him. I love my mission, and I can't believe how much I have grown from it. Thank you for your love and support.
 
I hope that you make it through Tax season. That time of year never sounds fun, but I have always looked up to your example during this time of year. You have always been able to manage work with callings, and throw some family time in there as well. I want to be as hard a worker as you are. I have also learned so much from you being in the bishopric and now as bishop. Thank you for magnifying your calling, and inspiring me to do so too.
 
I love you!
 
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment