Monday, May 19, 2014

A Slow Week in Grand Prairie!

Hi Mom,
 
We had what was probably the slowest week of my mission this passed week. We didn't teach much, and we spent most of the week contacting people that unfortunately aren't very interested. It was a tough week, but I am not really getting too down because of it. Weeks like this make us look back at what we didn't do right, and help us change to become better missionaries. I am very hopeful now that we will be able to have more success this next week.
 
Our investigators are still where they were last week. We were only able to meet with one family this week. We are not giving up on them yet though. We passed by Carlos this week, and we began teaching his Dad who is also named Carlos. We set a date with the younger one for the 14th of June, and we are hopeful that he will be able to find a way to get to church more often.
 
Because this week was slow, I don't really have a whole lot to write. This transfer has flown by so fast, and we get our transfer calls this Saturday. We think that Elder Wells will be leaving since he has been here for 4 transfers. I will stay and get a new companion. The mission is going by so fast, and the longer I serve, the faster it seems to go. I love being a missionary! Even though we have weeks like the one we just had, I am growing so much, and my testimony is a lot stronger!
 
I am excited to hear where Nate serves his mission. I am guessing you will find out this week. I am going to put my guess in now. Out-of-country: England State-side: Virginia
 
I hope Brooklynn gets feeling better. Let her know that I love her and miss her. Tell Chase that he better be ready to lose in one-on-one basketball when I get back. He will probably be taller than me by then. I love you Mom! Good luck with school and with summer!
 
Love, Kyle
 
Hi Dad,
 
We had a slow week this week. The slowest week of my entire mission really, but I am not really getting down about it. I just know that there is room for improvement. We are very motivated for this upcoming week though. It should be a lot better.
 
Answers
1. Was it hard to say goodbye last week?
It was hard to say goodbye. I wish that I could talk to you more often, but I know I must focus on the work. After the call though, it was actually fairly easy to go back to work, probably because preperation day was the next day.
 
2. How is the work going this week?
It was really slow. We didn't teach much, and the contacts that we made weren't really interested.
 
3. Have found some new investigators?
We didn't find any new investigators this week.
 
4. Do you have any mission conferences where the whole mission gets together?
No. The mission is too far spread to have a conference for all the mission. Unless there is an apostle coming, but that has only happened once, and we met in the fort worth mission.
 
5. What is the farthest that you have ridden your bike in one day?
Probably a little over 20 miles. Our area is actually fairly small.
 
6. What are you studying about this week? ( In your personal study)
I have been studying Chapter 9 in Preach my Gospel: How to find people to teach. And I we are trying to use some different ideas from that Chapter as a ward. We have started teaching English classes, and we are having a ward movie night where we are going to be watching 17 miracles.
 
I have also been reading the Book of Mormon in Spanish. Right now I am in Alma 8. I love Alma teaching about the coming of Jesus Christ in chapter 7. He describes throughout the whole chapter how he finds happiness in the obedience of the people, and I have related that to how I feel as a missionary. I love to see people who keep the commandments, and who receive happiness through doing so. It is great to help people become obedient, and us the Atonement.
7. Do you know what a great example you are to us. ( thanks for the challenge to read our scriptures, we need more of that)
Thank you!
 
8. Have you had to speak in church? (Did you have to give any impromptu talks)
I have not had to speak in church since I have come to Grand Prairie, but I did have to give an inpromptu talk once in Sherman.
 
9. Can you send us pictures of your apartment?
Yes.
10. What was your favorite general conference talk?
The talk that Elder Bednar gave on how the Enabling power of the Atonement works.
 
I love you Dad! I hope you have fun on all the youth camps that you will be going on the next couple weeks. Those were always such great experiences for me. I hope the youth will enjoy the camps. It is crazy to think that I have now almost been gone for a year. I feel like I just left in some ways. In other ways it has been long and hard. It really has been to most rewarding experience that I have ever had in my life. If you would like for me to write something for the priests, I would love too.
 
Love, Kyle


No comments:

Post a Comment