Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Visit from Elder Nelson

Hi Mom,

We had another very eventful week. It was great, and so boring all at the same time.

Monday through Thursday went by fairly quickly, and we were able to teach some really good lessons. Maria is still progressing very well, and she should be baptized on the 14th of February. Friday was when the apostle came, and when we woke up that morning, my companion told me that he was sick, we came to find out that he got strep throat again for the second time this month. We still went to see the apostle, but then we came back and were stuck inside for three days. I was so bored. I already had watched all of the videos we had the last time he was sick, so there wasn't a whole lot to do. I am happy to be back out again, but just in time to leave.

I loved the meeting with the apostle so much. Elder Nelson and Elder Robbins of the presidency of the seventy came, and it was a great meeting. Elder Lynn G. Robbins talked a lot about the Book of Mormon, and how important it is in our missionary work. Elder Nelson then got up and talked about identity. He started by talking about the 12 tribes of Israel, and all the blessings that we receive from them as well as the responsibilities we have. Then he talked about how we were chosen to come to earth at this time. He shared a scripture from the 138th section of the D&C that said that we were taught by Jesus Christ in the spirit world after he was crucified, and we are called to come to earth at this time to help gather Zion. It was a great message.

Elder Nelson also talked about one of the biggest challenges that he said he has overcome. He called it the gap. It is the difference between who he should be as an apostle, and what he is. Moses felt that way when he was called, and we all feel that way as we receive callings. We have feelings of inadequacy, and we need to overcome that. He said that he has done that through increased effort in his scripture study, and in being more diligent while praying always. I thought about Dad in that moment, and from your emails it sounds like his is filling the gap.

The best part of the meeting was the end when Elder Nelson said he felt prompted to invoke a blessing upon us. He gave all of us a blessing from the pulpit. It was a great experience, and when he closed his talk the spirit was so strong in the room. We sang a song at the end which was Hark all ye Nations, and it was hard to sing without getting teary-eyed. I loved it! It was one of those moments where I thought to my self, wow this is my mission, and this is such a great cause that we are fighting for. I love this church, and I don't know how anyone could deny it after hearing an apostle. It will be a moment that I will never forget.

This week we also finished the Book of Mormon. We read it in 40 days, and that was really fast for me. I read it in Spanish which means that there was 647 pages to read instead of whatever it is in English. It was a great experience to get to know the story better, and know what each chapter is about. I love that Book, and I know it is true!

Another fun little thing that I started last week is called the D&C countdown. I read section 128 today, hint hint, but who's counting? I am just reading D&C backwards...

The rest of the week was the really boring part. And today I found out that I am getting transferred. I don't know where I will be going, but I am excited to see where I end my mission. It has been great, and these next few transfers should be very successful. I love the mission! (Except when I am stuck inside.)

I am happy to hear about everything that is going on at home. I hope y'all have a great week, and I will let you know where I go next week. I love y'all!

Love, Elder Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment