Monday, December 15, 2014

Excited to stay in Rowlett!

Hi Mom,
I am staying here in Rowlett for another one! I am so excited! I honestly think this area is my favorite. The members are great, the work is going well, and we have some great investigators that we are working with. I am so happy that we are staying for another little while. Elder Banner is staying as well.

Andrew is doing so well! He received the gift of the Holy Ghost yesterday in Sacrament meeting. He has read through the entire Book of Mormon, and is now going through Doctrine & Covenants. He tells us that he knows his decision was right. He also keeps telling us that he can't turn back now. He is doing really well, and he should be receiving the Priesthood here soon. I am so happy for him, and I am so grateful I have been able to see his progression. It has been great!

Unfortunately we haven't been able to meet with Luis again since that first lesson. I don't know if he is really that interested anymore. This week, However, we found someone named Manuel Martinez. He was given a pass-along card up in Wylie one day, and he wanted to get a free DVD about Jesus Christ, so that he could help someone else discover Jesus Christ. We were persistent though, and he agreed to listen to a message. He was very interested, and since then we have taught him three times, and we gave him a church tour on Saturday.

The church tour was really good! He felt the spirit, and there was baptism going on that we didn't know about, so he also came and watched the baptism with us. He came to church yesterday, and he brought his room mate as well who loved church. I am very excited about them two. They should be good!

I am getting really excited for Christmas! The next two weeks are going to be a lot of fun. We have our ward Christmas party on Friday. We offer service at a food bank here in Rowlett, and on Saturday they are going to do a gift donation, and they asked to use our church, so we will have hundreds of people coming through our church, which should be a great opportunity for them to feel the spirit. Then next week we have Christmas, and the day after will be my 18 month mark. It is crazy to think that I only have 4 transfers left. It is going to go by so fast.

I love my mission! I am so happy, maybe even happier than I have ever been before. I am so grateful for all the blessings I have, and it is so great that I have been able to serve in the Texas Dallas mission. It has changed me.

The highlight for the week for me was yesterday during Sacrament meeting. David Medrano is a recent convert that lost his sight a year ago. He is the happiest person I have ever met which is amazing for someone that has gone through so much. Yesterday, he gave a talk at church that was incredible. The spirit was so strong. He told us the story of his conversion. After losing his vision, he went into a deep depression. He was so sad, and began to have suicidal thoughts. One day the missionaries knocked on their door, and they began teaching them, but David wasn't really interested. They kept trying, and after a while they felt prompted to give him a blessing. David told us that after that blessing, he felt for the first time the holy ghost, and the love of God. This motivated him to start listening to the Book of Mormon on CD. He listened to it, prayed about it, and received an answer that it was true. And after that he needed to be baptized.
Every time I think of his story, or see him, the lyrics of Amazing Grace come to my mind, 

I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.
 
He is now able to see, and I believe that knows more and has experienced more about what Grace and this church can do for someone than most people. I don't know how you wouldn't believe in this church after seeing him. His family is poor, he can't see, and yet they always pay their tithing, come to church, and live the best way they can. I am so grateful that I was able to meet David Medrano and his family.
I am doing great, and I am looking forward to talking with y'all at Christmas. I hope that y'all enjoy your week!

Love, Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment