Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Another Weather Delay!!

Mom,
 
This week has been crazy. We started off this week with the goal of teaching 20 lessons. The first three days, monday through wednesday, were so good as we taught 3 lessons each day. But, then came Thursday, which is when the ice storm hit. The ice storm was crazy! It started out as just a little bit of rain, which slowly started to freeze on cars and roof tops. Then by about 5 or so, the rain became freezing rain, which pretty puch looked like hail. By the end of the night, the streets were a little frozen, and we weren't thinking it would be a big deal, because the last freeze warning we had was nothing. When we woke up the next morning, it looked just like Utah does after a good snow storm. I thought it was great, the only difference being that everything was ice. It was difficult to just walk around let alone drive. So, yeah we stayed in doors for four days.
 
We kept hearing about how bad ice storms were, and we just kept thinking oh we are from Utah and Idaho, it won't be that bad... but it was bad. Most of the town shuts down for the day, and everyone stays inside. We noticed a pattern as well in all the stores, that when ever there is a bad storm coming, stores will be out of bread, milk, and beer. And while shopping yesterday, that is very much the way it was. Luckily we were able to return to work yesterday.
 
To keep ourselves entertained, we did a lot of studying. I also found my new favorite pass-time: reading Jesus the Christ with a bag of Doritos. Then we got creative and began playing battleship by hanging a sheet across the room, and using a volleyball and paper boats. It definitely helped the time go by.
 
I am staying for another transfer here in Sherman with my companion Elder Duce. We are excited to be able to continue working here in Sherman! I don't really need anything for Christmas, and I will just go ahead and decorate the tree that we already have. I will send you pictures next week. I would actually love some sweats for Christmas, that would be great!
 
I am glad to hear that Eric had a great time on his mission. I would like to go to a mission homecoming, now that I have experienced a mission myself, but I guess that will have to wait until I get back.
 
Because of the storm, we really haven't been able to do much with the Robles family or Efraim. So I will keep you posted on them.
 
Thank you for everything, and I hope you enjoy these pictures! I love you!!!!!!!
 
Kyle
 



 


 
Hi Dad
 
I am just going straight to answers this week:
 
1. How is the weather.
The weather now is cold (this kind of cold is a lot different than the one back home) and slushy. The weather the past weekend was crazy! It was hard to just stay on your feet when we went walking outside. Ice storms are crazy, and a lot different than snow. I think the ice made me miss the snow even more. But I will live.
 
2. Have been able to work or are you stuck inside.
We were stuck inside for four days. Four long days of studying and finding crazy ways to entertain oursevles--we hung a bed sheet up in our room and played battleship using paper boats and a volleyball. I had some great spiritual moments, that actually really got me motivated to continue going, although returning to work after a few days off has been hard.
 
3. Are you still in the same area.
Yes! I am still here and my companion is still Elder Duce! I am excited to continue serving the people of Sherman, and I am so excited to see what we can accomplish this transfer.
 
4. How are the investigators doing (any progressing)
Well right now Efraim and the Robles father are progressing. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to teach them for a while because of the storm.
 
5.Are any of them coming to church
Efraim did come to church last week, and this week we actually had to cancel church because people were iced in. Our area is very spread out, and their are a lot of members that live in the middle of nowhere.
 
6. Tell us about Sherman - what is it like.
Sherman is a very small town, actually a lot like Waxahachie, my old area. A lot of the members like I said live way outside of the town barely in city limits. It is nothing like most of the areas here in Dallas, because finding the hispanics is a little more of a challenge. I still love this area though! It is also very green, or was very green before the ice. Everything except for the grass. It is never green.
 
7. How do you spend your time. Is it mostly tracking?, referrals, Members, Service. Tell us how your typical day goes.
We tract all the time. Every day. Our spanish group really only consists of about 10 active members that come regularly, so we can't really find a lot of referrals. We do have a few refferrals though.
 
8. What kind of car do you get to drive? Do you have so many miles that you can drive each month.
We drive a 2014 toyota corolla which we got brand new only 2 weeks ago. It is so much fun, and the sound system for our Mormon Tabernacle Choir is great!
 
9. What experiences did you have this week.
We studied, studied, and studied. I honestly can't remember much more about this week, but I can say that I am well rested, kind of, and ready for the new transfer!
 
10. Can you share how you have changed in the five months ( not just the twenty pounds.)
Wow... I have changed a lot in the past five months. For one, I am a lot more bold and outgoing. I really love trying to contact everyone, and I LOVE teaching the gospel as a missionary. My companion says that the one thing he has learned from me is how to be more bold. I would say that is one of the biggest changes so far. A lot of this probably came from the time after the first transfer. I kind of let my trainer do what ever, and after that I told myself that I wasn't going to let that happen again. The other and more important transformation that I have seen is my testimony and relationship with my savior. I was thinking back to that moment this last transfer when I had the 11 dropped appointments. I thought about how the day after that was probably one of the best days of my life, because I felt closer to Jesus Christ than I ever have before. At the point where I felt the lowest on my mission, I had to rely and remember that I can't do anything without the help of Jesus Christ. Not only that, but every time that I testify of him, my relationship and testimony of him grow. Another change that I have seen sometimes, is a harder work ethic, probably because of what I am working to do. There is nothing like knocking on doors all day every day, which I have done my whole mission, which will help you work harder. I have had to try and find ways to make it fun. Whenever I remember why I am working, it motivates me to keep going.
 
I love Grandpa's comment about your buttons popping off, and I am happy that I could make you feel happy. You and Mom have done so much for me, so I don't know why I would ever want to disappoint you. Thanks for all your love and support!!!!
 
Love you!
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment