Monday, August 19, 2013

Second week in Texas!

Mom and Family,

Wow! Sounds like a lot is happening at home. I was so excited when I read that Nate moved back in with his Mom. That will be great for him. I can't wait to write to him now. And snowbird sounds like it was a lot of fun.

I would love to send a short talk for Brooklynn's baptism. I am guessing it should be around 3-4 min. That sounds like a fantastic idea. I guess that will make up a little bit for me not being able to baptize Brooklynn, but I am so excited to see pictures. I can't wait!

I didn't do a session in the temple. I get to go four times over the course of my mission, counting the one time I went in the MTC. So only three more times. I probably won't go until about december or so.

Thank you very much for the pictures. I loved them. It helps me get over the homesickness, when I am able to look at pictures of my family. And the letters you sent were so great. Cheered me up a lot.

I wouldn't say that my trials have gone away, but right now I am just trying to get along with my companion.  The other part of the problem, is that so far over my two weeks here, we haven't found a single investigator that we have taught more than once. It is hard to go out and tract all day. We find people to teach every once and awhile, but it is very difficult to find another time to teach them. We have had so many people cancel on us, or more often not be home.

 I have seen some great things here. Here is one story:

We were out proselyting at a trailer park, and all of our lessons for that night had fell through. We decided to start tracting, and we started walking down the street. I saw a man cleaning his truck, and I asked if we could help. He said that we could, but never actually told us to do anything. Eventually we went in the house and were able to teach him part of the first lesson. The lesson was going good, mostly because this man was christian and believed everything we were teaching up to the first vision. When my companion shared the account of Joseph Smith, the man laughed at us. Right in our faces and boldly said, "No man has ever seen God. Ever." There could have been scriptures we shared, but instead we just bore testimony. We bore very powerful testimony of how we came to know that this happened. The man went from laughing to us, to actually believing that it was possible. The spirit was very strong, even if I couldn't understand some of it.

This was great experience, but again we are having a hard time scheduling another lesson with him. I hope we can find time for another visit!

Again I would like to thank you for your love and support. It has made my mission a little easier. Tell the kids good luck for me in school this year. I am excited to see how everyone does.

Hey Dad!
 
First of all I must say that your letter that you sent me was so comforting. I have already read it everyday since I got it on friday. It has helped so much.
 
I didn't know that Elder Cook was the one that came to your mission. That is amazing! I loved his talk on faith, and I plan to use it a lot on my mission.
 
So to answer your questions,  My district is us and two english elders for the same area. They are great Elders. I love being around them, and have already been on exchanges with both of them. I would have to say that these two days were probably my favorite two days so far. In our mission there are about 130 spanish missionaries, so almost half. We have investigators, but none of them are progressing. Except for Mary, who we just can't get to church. We have a cell phone, but no I-pads yet. My companion loves the people a lot. He is into extreme sports and loves music. We are in a spanish branch, which is actually to small to even be a branch. This is why we go out tracting all day, because we don't get a lot of help from the members, and there is one less active family. My bike is nice, but I have only rode it once. We are actually in one of the biggest areas in the mission, so we have a car. And right now, I am doing good. I have a hard time actually going out and working sometimes, but I love study time. My favorite part of the day, besides going to bed of course, is personal study in the morning. I feel so happy and peaceful during that time. I love it.
 
Thank you again for the spiritual thoughts each week, and for the poem that you sent me. It has brought me so much comfort, and always motivates me to do more. And thanks for keeping me updated on BYU. I didn't think I would get so excited for football even though I can't watch it. More importantly, thank you for the love and support that you have given me throughout my life. I wouldn't be out here without it. Good luck with work, and stuff. I love you, and am so thankful for an Amazing Dad like you!
 
Love
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment